Promoting Physical Activity at the Workplace
- The business case for promoting fitness in the workplace
- The Center of Disease Control and Prevention’s Workplace Health Promotion Toolkit
- CDC Physical Activity Resources
- American Cancer Society – Workplace solutions
- Arthritis Association’s Walk with Ease Program
- American Heart Association – Start! Fit Friendly Companies
- Moving More at Work – See how Ventura County, California does it
- WELCOA resources to build wellness programs in small and large businesses
- Healthy office environments tools and resources, including a stairwell campaign
Encourage Active Commuting
- Workplace bicycle parking: Why is it important and what is required?
- How to encourage employees to bike for better health
- Become a cycle-friendly employer, by using toolkit, questionnaire, and model policies
- Bicycle Parking – Information about bike parking facilities – indoor and outdoor racks, lockers, bike parking systems, and guidelines for installing bike parking from the Bicycle Transportation Alliance
- Bike Commuting – Resources for bike commuting, including workshops, from the Bicycle Transportation Alliance
- Bicycle Commuter Act –Federal legislation that supports a benefit for bicycle commuters
- The Bicycle Transportation Alliance bike commute programs
- Portland Metropolitan Area walking routes that may lead to work.
Create a work environment that boosts physical activity
- Take a walkability assessment to check for hazards or roadblocks around work.
- Promote safe walking by offering creating walking maps and guides.
Create a high-energy workplace
- Flexible Work Arrangements: Selected Case Studies
- Flex Time Physical Activity Policy sample from North Carolina
- The StairWELL campaign promotes easy, free fitness at work
- The StairWELL toolkit and resources for the workplace
- Use of Stairs – StairWELL to Better Health from the Centers for Disease Control
- Welcoa Stairwell to Health
- Mayo Clinic Office Stretch Videos (neck, forearm, upper body, seated, and standing)
- Instant Recess YouTube videos– 10-minute physical activity breaks for any time
- Discount fitness clubs network