Any tobacco user will tell you it’s hard to quit. Coaching and medications can help employees double or triple their quite rate:
Coaching can motivate employees and help with quitting challenges.
- Telephone, in person, or group coaching effectively supports quitting.
- The Oregon Tobacco Quit Line (also in Spanish) provides free on-line coaching for all Oregonians.
- Promote the quit line phone number: 1-800-QUIT NOW or, in Spanish, 1-855-DÉJELO-YA.
Medications can ease the withdrawal process.
- Seven FDA-approved medications work in a variety of ways.
- Gum, patches, lozenges or pills are available by prescription or over-the-counter.
Federal law requires insurers to offer a tobacco cessation benefit with no copayment. Many businesses both cover and promote the coaching and medications that best support employees.